Self-Care is NOT a Luxury

“Self-Care is not a luxury. It is a human requisite, a professional necessity, and an ethical imperative.” – John Norcross & James Guy, as quoted by Dr. Amy Eva

I have been thinking about this quotation for more than a year, wrestling with the perception of “self-care” as selfish and only available to the privileged. A “white girl” thing that involves getting a facial and pedicure. One more thing to do. Something imposed by those who think we aren’t enough and need to be more to do more. Not applicable to social-justice warriors, people of color, anti-racist activists and their accomplices. 

But really, it is a human requisite. Caring for ourselves is necessary, or we burnout. Taking care involves more than diet, sleep, exercise. It is more than gratitude, mindfulness, or social connection. It also involves setting boundaries and having deep compassion – for others, for those in our care (our children and our students and anyone we serve) – and for ourselves.

Self-compassion as a practice seems suddenly everywhere in the popular media I consume, though I know people have been investigating self-compassion for some time — its roots lie in ancient practices. Now researchers and practitioners like Dr. Kristen Neff and Dr. Tara Brach are presenting methods to make the practice accessible to more and more people. Check out this video to get a feel for what more self-compassion could mean for our world.

We must love ourselves enough to care for ourselves. We must care for ourselves so we can care for others, showing by our example and by our instruction how to others can take care of themselves and each other

What “self-care” really means is reconnecting with our source of energy, that which sustains and reinvigorates us. It is empowering ourselves to be agents of change, of love, of justice, of growth, and of purpose in the world. 

Ask: what truly nourishes me? What makes me feel loved, alive, healthy, and energized? What sets me on fire with purpose and meaning? Most importantly, what helps me move through difficulties and tolerate necessary discomfort so I can actually learn and grow? 

Let’s do more of nourishing so we can continue the work of making the world a better place. 

uteachme2

I'm a passionate educator, rational optimist, hopeful idealist, and writing project fellow.