Writing Instruction

Would you like to know more about writing instruction? Creating conditions for flourishing? Teacher well-being? Contact me via email at uteachme2@gmail.com or Twitter at @uteachme2 and we will discuss how I may help you!

My love for helping writers is what led me to pursue teaching in the first place. I started as a writing tutor in the OASIS Writing Center at UCSD during my undergraduate studies, and watching my peers develop their ideas, clarify their meaning, create their voice and share their ideas inspired me to become an English teacher. For my M.Ed. I conducted research into effective feedback for writers (see publications). I became a Teacher Leader with the Cal State Northridge Writing Project in 2009 (its inaugural year) and am part of the Improving Student Analytical Writing leadership network in the California Writing Project. I am passionate about developing writers and about helping people use writing for self-knowledge and for sharing ideas.

Here are some of my posts on writing:

What I’ve Learned about Writing Instruction
Thesis Writing and Confirmation Bias

I intend to add links to other sites I’ve created for open institutes I’ve led in my role as a teacher leader for the CSUNWP.

I am forever grateful to the California Writing Project (especially Dr. K. Rowlands, Jayne Marlink, Matt Brown, and Jackie Smith), to Gerry DiCarlo (my mentor at UCSD), and to authors Kelly Gallagher and Jennifer Fletcher for their guidance over the years.