Positive Education – Part 2: Mindful Mondays

Last year (2016-17) I began adding well-being and character to my curricular goals. Because of my experiences with student anxiety and depression, and because of my own struggles with the same, I was determined to investigate my role as a teacher in the well-being of my students – and as a result of my investigation, I became determined to teach students some skills that could help them mitigate their own suffering.  My research led me to believe I could do better in creating an environment for engagement, empowerment, and academic rigor such that all students flourish.

I began with adding very brief exercises to each day, a practice I have continued to this day. Mindful of the 5-research supported ways to improve overall well-being, and modeled after Project Happiness.com’s daily emails, I set the following schedule:

• Mondays: Mindfulness
  • Tuesdays: Three-Good Things
  • Wednesdays: Wellness
  • Thursdays: Thoughtfulness
  • Fridays: Freedom

Initially some students expressed (either explicitly or implicitly) excitement, while others were more reserved. Knowing I face some reasonable skepticism and resistance, I repeatedly reinforce the academic purpose: we learn better when we’re relaxed and healthy – both mentally and physically. I want students to have tools to reduce the stress I know they face, and I know the stress of the academic challenges I offer them. I want students to be stronger, healthier, smarter individuals. I care about their well-being.

After a few weeks, even the resistant students comfortably participate in the daily activities.

Mindful Mondays
On Mondays I offer students a practice or tip for cultivating and practicing mindfulness. I define mindfulness as removing ourselves from our default settings such that we are aware of our thoughts. We all have “monkey minds” that constantly chatter; sometimes we even debate with ourselves internally as though we have multiple selves inside. Mindfulness helps us be aware of negative thoughts so we can counter them. Mindfulness helps us calm down, focus, and be less reactive.

• Internal silence. One of the first techniques I teach is how to notice the silence between thoughts. I tell students to close their eyes or to direct their gaze to a spot on the table in front of them. Then, on the count of 3, they are to wait for the first thought to occur. When the thought comes, they open their eyes/look up. Many students have never recognized the space in between the internal monologue, and this practice brings that “way of being” into their conscious awareness.
  • Breathing. There are many different kinds of breathing exercises to employ, but the simplest is to just observe the breath. Initially, I instruct students to observe the breath with their “mind’s eye”, watching the air come in through the nose and into the lungs, then watching breath flow out of the body. Later, I might have students count inhales and exhales (such as breathe in through the nose for a count of 4, hold count of 1, exhale through the nose count of 8, hold count of one, repeat for 3-5 cycles). I show students how to breathe into the belly/diaphragm and how to notice the difference between shallow and deep breathing.
  • Hoberman Sphere. I use the Hoberman Sphere (I have a mini) as a focusing tool for breathing; as I expand the sphere students breathe in, and as I contract the sphere students breathe out. Using the sphere gives a point of focus so that our minds are quiet while we breathe. It gives us a moment to step out of the active day, calm down, and reset.
  • Glitter Jar. There are many YouTube videos available for making these, but a glitter jar is essentially a sealed jar filled with water, glycerine, and glitter. Shaking the jar stirs up the glitter (akin to a snow-globe), then holding the jar still or setting it down, lets the glitter come to rest. I sometimes describe the glitter as a metaphor for our frenzied mind – the thoughts, worries, issues, problems that trouble us and make focus difficult. Stopping to breathe allows those thoughts etc. to settle, just like the glitter settles when we hold the jar still. The issues or problems go away, but in taking a moment to cultivate stillness, we gain the mental clarity to decide what to tackle first. Like the Hoberman Sphere, the glitter jar becomes a breath-focusing tool.
  • Chime. I have a set of wind-chimes and a small hand-chime for this mindfulness practice. I direct students to give their full attention to the sound, waiting to listen until they no longer hear the chime. Listening to the chime turns off the internal chatter and again gives a focusing tool. I use this sometimes as an active transition between activities; after I have everyone’s attention,I instruct to listen to the chime and when they can no longer hear it, they move to the next activity.
  • Mindful eating (or any other activity). In this activity, I offer students a small morsel of something – a bit of chocolate, an animal cracker – and instruct them to look at the food carefully, contemplating it before ingesting it. As they ingest, they should allow the food to rest in the mouth, noticing flavors and the body’s reaction to the food as it rests on the tongue. Then they should notice their chewing, swallowing, etc., and any thoughts associated with the activity. I tell students this practice can be transferred to any task – the more mundane, the better. Doing dishes becomes more interesting when full attention is given to it. Furthermore, this practice can be a kind of meditation; whenever they notice their attention wandering, they bring it back to what they’re doing – no judgement, no criticism – just practicing paying attention. Even high school students have had the experience of “automatic pilot”, and this mindfulness practice can help them shift their default.

Stay tuned for Part 3 – Tuesday’s Gratitude & Three Good Things.

uteachme2

I'm a passionate educator, rational optimist, hopeful idealist, and writing project fellow.