Think small, practice self-compassion, & focus on GOOD news

Happy November!

As we move through these last two months of 2018, I wanted to share a couple of things I’ve been learning, practicing, and considering:

• Think SMALL. With the holidays upon us, temptations to overindulge abound. What if we enjoy fully while attending to one small, healthy change we want to make as we move through this holiday season?

Personally, I tend indulge fully and recover in January. This year, I am making micro changes to help me be healthier this season, like not buying the usual Costco-size bag of Halloween chocolates. While I didn’t avoid eating more than might be considered “healthy” this past week, I did reduce my chocolate intake by taking the time to truly savor each and every piece that enters my mouth. Yes, I pilfered my share of my daughter’s trick-or-treat bounty, but I also consumed much less than I had years previously without feeling either guilt or resentment.

What SMALL change do YOU want to make? Set yourself up to succeed by taking it one SMALL step at a time.

• Practice SELF-COMPASSION. Most of us are our own worst critic. What if we spoke to ourselves like we do to our friends? Check out this short video on Self-Compassion from Sounds True and Dr. Kristen Neff, an expert on self-compassion. If you want more, you can sign up to receive a series of 3 videos (that I assume will lead to an opportunity to purchase a course or other materials) at Sounds True.
  • Focus on GOOD NEWS. Cultivate optimism by inviting good news into your life. Sign up for NationSwell’s newsletter, which chronicles good works happening in the world. If you like words of encouragement or reminders for growth, consider signing up for emails from Action for Happiness, the Project Happiness, or DailyOm.

Teacher Wellbeing Workshops are on hold for the time being, as I transition into a new work situation and prepare for the holidays. I intend to return to holding small group workshops in the new year. In the meantime, I’ll keep sending you somewhat regular boosts and reminders throughout the remainder of 2018.

As always, let me know how I may be of service. May you continue to flourish!

uteachme2

I'm a passionate educator, rational optimist, hopeful idealist, and writing project fellow.