Practicing Presence

At the end of January of this year I came across and advertisement for a new book, Practicing Presence by Dr. Lisa Lucas (Stenhouse Publishers, 2018).

After a grueling January packed with assessments and end-of-semester grading*, I needed some focus on self-care. I was so excited at the prospect of reading this book that I downloaded the preview copy, and after devouring the first 3 chapters, I decided to invite other teachers to join me in reading book-group style.

My principal was willing to support a book-group study and purchased a set of books for our use. We began our study in March. I invited about 15 people I thought might be interested, had 10 on board but then eventually only 6 signed on for the group meetings — this is typical, given how incredibly busy we are as teachers, particularly in the spring.

I am in the last chapter now, chapter 8, but I could and probably should re-read and study and take notes on the whole thing. There are so many strategies to consider, to digest, let alone to practice. That’s not to say it’s too much; rather, I can pick and choose and implement those that suit me in doses. I have already started a fairly regular morning gratitude and intention practice. With the help of Headspace, I am also meditating daily and have my daughter using Headspace to help fall asleep.

But some of the more challenging strategies will take deliberate practice and a whole lot of self-compassion as I work to change habits of mind and behavior that contribute to my own stress as an educator. Like the saying goes, I cannot control the world but I can control my reaction to it (or, probably more accurately for me, I can LEARN to direct my response rather than to react to triggers).

I really wish I’d had this book earlier in my career. I certainly plan to share it with any teacher — new or veteran — who is looking to reduce the stress and frustration we all know as educators.

*Note: going gradeless doesn’t mean I don’t have to submit grades. I still do. But that’s for another post entirely. 🙂

uteachme2

I'm a passionate educator, rational optimist, hopeful idealist, and writing project fellow.